You are here :
LIFE & NATURA 2000 >
The LIFE program began in 1992 and up until today three phases of the program have been completed (LIFE I: 1992-1995, LIFE II: 1996-1999 and LIFE III: 2000-2006). During this period, LIFE has co-financed some 3,104 projects across the EU, contributing approximately € 2.2 billion to the protection of the environment.
The LIFE+ Chiro Med program is conducted under the fourth phase of the LIFE program: the LIFE+ (2007-2013)
LIFE+ programs fund projects that contribute to the development and implementation of policy and environmental law. These programs facilitate in particular the integration of environmental concerns into other policies and, more generally, contribute to sustainable development. They replace a number of financial instruments for the environment which had preceded LIFE I, II, and III.
LIFE + is open to stakeholders, institutions, or public or private bodies established within the European Union. Project proposals can be submitted by a single recipient or a group of partners including a coordinating beneficiary and one or more associated beneficiaries. They may be national or multinational, but the actions must take place exclusively on the territory of the 27 Member States of the European Union.
The LIFE+ program is divided into three themes:
COMPONANT 1 "NATURE & BIODIVERSITY"
The LIFE+ Chiro Med program is 50% funded by the LIFE + 'Biodiversity and Nature.” This component finances:
- Projects to protect and conserve habitats and species of common interest under the guidelines "Birds and Habitats" and "Birds" within the Natura 2000 network (LIFE + Nature project),
- Projects of demonstration or innovation that fight against the erosion of biodiversity (LIFE + Biodiversity project), including in the DOM (the outermost regions of the European Union). They contribute to the implementation of the objectives of the communication of the Commission titled "Halting the loss of biodiversity to 2010 and beyond," and the Commission communication entitled "Options for after 2010 regarding the perspectives and objectives of the EU's biodiversity."
COMPONANT 2 "POLICY AND GOVERNANCE IN ENVIRONMENTAL MATTERS"
This component allows the co-financing of innovative or pilot projects that contribute specifically to the development, implementation and updating of policies and environmental legislation of the European Union, including mainstreaming the environment into other policies. The specific objectives are:
- Contribute to the development and demonstration of innovative policy approaches, technologies, methods and innovative instruments;
- Contribute to consolidating the knowledge base for the development, evaluation, and monitoring of legislation and policies;
- Supporting the design and implementation of approaches to monitor and evaluate the state of the environment and the factors, pressures and responses that go against it;
- Facilitate the implementation of the EU environmental policy, particularly at local and regional levels.
COMPONANT 3 "INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION"
This new component allows the co-financing of projects relating to communication and awareness campaigns on issues related to the environment, nature protection or biodiversity conservation, as well as projects related to the prevention of forest fires. As such, funding may be considered for special training for agents involved in forest fire prevention and awareness campaigns for populations affected by forest fires.
Each component has its own objectives and eligibility rules. Component I "Nature", within which the LIFE + Chiro Med program falls, concerns more specifically the Natura 2000 network.
For more information: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/life/